To maintain good chicken health we recommend maintaining good coop care and ensuring good bird health (free of internal and external parasites). Access to greens is a huge plus for chickens as greens help colour up the yolks, help to enhance the leg colour of birds and are all-round excellent for bird health.
We Sell Diatomaceous Earth for Chickens
If you notice that red mites have begun to overrun your chicken coop, it is time to consider investing in our Appletons De-Mite Powder for chickens to assist with the elimination of red mite. It works best when used hand in hand with our chicken coop cleaner. Diatomaceous earth (DE) is also highly effective if used regularly as a preventative as this will continuously deter any mites, killing them before numbers can build up to an infestation. The Appletons Animal Housing and Pet Supplies team offers you quality options that help to keep the nest and coop clean and healthy.
Tips for Getting More Value out of Diatomaceous Earth (DE) for Your Chicken Coop
There are certain steps that you can take to ensure that you get the most value out of your diatomaceous earth (food grade) for your coop. We recommend that you keep the following advice in mind when using this product.
- Effective Preventative: Dust perches and laying boxes weekly when used as a precautionary measure and for residual control.
Sanitise first: We strongly suggest that you completely sanitise your coop before you use DE especially if you have a major red mite infestation. The two-pronged approach offers a far greater kill rate and therefore a quicker result. We would advise looking to use diatomaceous earth along with poultry safeguard to ensure that you are keeping your coop mite-free. If you need a recommendation regarding the best sanitiser to use, just let us know—our customer service team can provide you with quality options.
- Be conscious of use: It is never advisable to use your bare hands when distributing this product. You should always use a glove to avoid any skin irritation. If you don’t find gloves comfortable, you can opt to use our powder applicator. You should apply the powder to the nest box bedding as well as perches. You can use the powder on floor litter, especially if your chickens sleep on the floor.
- Set a schedule: Our company uses diatomaceous earth for chicken mites in our coops weekly. Depending on the size of your coop, you may need to adjust your schedule. Keep in mind that if you are planning to use a large quantity of diatomaceous earth, you’ll want to look through the different size options that we offer, which include 350g, 1kg, and 5kg. We recommend that you reach out to us with any questions regarding how frequently to use this product.
What Sets Appletons Apart Regarding Diatomaceous Earth and Poultry?
We strive to be a name that you can trust when you need supplies for your animals. Our team accomplishes this goal in the following ways.
- Exceptional customer service: Our team consistently goes above and beyond to ensure that you have the products that you need to fully care for your chicken coops. Whether you need insight into food or habitats, our experienced staff is here to give you the help that you need to make the right choices.
Multiple shipping choices: We pride ourselves on making things as convenient as possible for our customers. If you live local to our shop and prefer to pick up your order, we will let you know once it is available so that you can stop by to receive it. Our company also works with a trusted courier service that ships nationwide if you opt to receive your items via delivery right to your front door. All large items are transported by freight, but in these cases, you have the flexibility to have your items shipped directly to your home or pick them up at the local Mainfreight Depot. Read more about our shipping options.
- In-person shopping: Would you like to come down and see our products in person? We would be happy to see you! Our physical location is open six days per week, between Monday and Saturday.
About Appletons Animal Housing and Pet Supplies
Over the years, Appletons has demonstrated a strong commitment to providing our customers with safe products for their animals. We understand the importance of supplying you with items that are 100% natural as well as DE-based, so you can rest assured that you are using the most dependable products in the industry.
Are you ready to finalise your purchase of diatomaceous earth safe for your chickens but have a few questions? Reach out to us today.