Selecting the right drinker/s and feeder/s for your chickens and poultry area is worth doing. Using purpose-built poultry feeders and drinkers will save time, energy and money in the long run and keep your chooks happy and healthy. Throwing pellets out once a day onto the ground and expecting your chooks to drink out of an old dirty bucket is not going to get the best production from your hens or make your daily chores a pleasure. Chickens are not designed for once-a-day feeds. They are foragers by nature and eat little and often throughout the day. Having all-day access to step-on feeders that keep out vermin (sparrows, rats and mice that bring disease) and allow all chickens in the pecking order access to quality feed whenever they need it is the way to go. Buckets of water 'green up' pretty quick and get easily tipped over. Having a reliable, fresh source of water available at all times is key to good health and good egg production. Chooks drink lots of water and they like it clean (just like you!) We have some great feeders and drinkers available.
Find Your Choice of a Chicken Feeder in NZ
At Appletons we are committed to providing fantastic products, such as a chicken feeder in NZ, and top-quality service, and we bring you closer to your pets by making it a joy for you to care for them. Whether you prefer chickens, pheasants, budgies, rabbits, or cats, have a look at the premium animal housing, feeding options, and care guides that we offer.
What Sets Appletons Apart Regarding Chook Feeders in NZ
A feeder plays a vital role in controlling the amount and quality of feed for your chickens or other animals.
- Chickens are instinctive foragers. They eat little and often during the day. The best way to keep happy and healthy chickens is to let them access feed when they need it via an automatic step on feeder. Your hens can help themselves when they need to eat. The feed stays clean and dry and the quality of the feed is not compromised as rodents and sparrows cannot access the feeder thus reducing illness, disease, and mites.
- We have an extensive range of feeders to suit your circumstances and environments, for example a trough, step-on feeder, feeder with a rain hat and automatic chicken feeder in NZ.
- Allow us to use our knowledge and experience to explain to you why certain feeders are better to use than others in certain situations, and why some options might save you time in the long run.
- Besides feeders for chickens, you can also choose feeders for your other pets, including pheasants, ducks, budgies, and rabbits.
Choosing the Best Poultry Drinkers for Your Hens
- Water is just as important as feed, if not more so! Providing the right water container for your poultry is key as this helps maintain the health, wellbeing of your flock and ensures continuous egg production. On hot days chickens can drink triple what they can on a normal day.
- One day without water will impact on your chooks ability to lay. Ensure she has access to fresh, clean water daily.
- Look for containers that are not open vessels like buckets that chickens can walk through, knock over and defecate in.
- Avoid containers that are made of clear plastic as these when placed in sunlight green up and discolour quickly.
- Water containers that hold a large amount of water and dark in colour will save you time and ensure content, happy hens.
At Appletons we will help you every step of the way – whether it involves advice about basic feeding or treats and how to go about choosing the most suitable water container setup for your flock.
Related Products We Provide to the Chicken Waterer in NZ
Yes, feeders and drinkers need to be selected carefully, but other aspects such as hatching and incubating, are equally important on a lifestyle block setting.
- We have partnered with Omlet in the United Kingdom, that designed the igloo-like chicken house, the Eglu, and the accessories and components have become increasingly popular. The birds will have a safe place to sleep and be protected from any predators that might attack them during the night.
- Our healthcare products will take care of every health issue that your chickens might have. Just like us humans, they also need to be dewormed, given necessary nutrient supplements and need wound spray for the occasional abrasion. Your chickens will also love our treats once in a while, such as mealworms or our insect medley. Add a chicken swing or Omlet perch and you won’t need anything else.
- We supply incubators, heat lamps and plates, tools, spares, and other consumables for successful chick rearing. You’ll enjoy watching your birds run around freely, knowing that they are fed the best, sleep in the best, and are in good health.
If you need any other advice, reach out to our team to discuss your setup, or any other concern.
Why Customers Should Use Appletons Animal Housing and Pet Supplies
We have been building and selling chicken coops and supplies for 16 years – so you can count your chickens, because they will hatch. Have a look at other feeders and animal supplies while you are at it, for optimum output.
We know how much you care about your pets, and we are here to guide you in the right direction. We also sell chicken eggs and livestock. Get in touch with us.